Printer Friendly Version
Middle School - 6th through 8th Grades
Merritt Middle School is built upon a learning environment rich in critical thinking skills and collaboration that cultivates communication and promotes independence. This is achieved through student-led learning; curricula focused on 21st century skills; and partnership with caring teachers who understand the mindset of middle school students.
- Develop content knowledge through interactive learning.
- Encourage independence and critical thinking in a student-led learning environment.
- Cultivate strong communication skills utilizing a variety of learning tools that incorporates traditional skills e.g. writing via 21st century learning (iPads, collaborative projects, and digital media).
- Promote leadership and responsible citizenship through opportunities that serve the school and greater community (SCA, Peer Mentoring, NJHS, and service projects).
- Acknowledge that middle school is the critical gateway to high school and prepare students for the transition.
Proposed Field Trips for 2016-17 and 2017-18:
- Local businesses work study
- 8th grade science trip to Florida (Spring, 2018)
- 7th grade social studies/English trip to NYC (Spring, 2017)
- Kings Dominion partnered with MathScience Innovation Center for Stem
- Oratory at Ford’s Theatre
- Camp Hemlock for team building (Fall, 2016 and 2017)